Circular No. 1.
HeadQuar. Switz. Co. F. B. B.
Vevay, Ind., Sep. 14, 1868
Soldiers:–In obedience to your election made at Vevay, on the 10th inst., choosing me as your Colonel to organize and command the regiment of Fighting Boys in Blue in Switzerland county, I hereby assume the duties of the office with Head Quarters at Vevay, and ask your hearty cooperation in the work.
The following are Field Staff officers as chosen by you in Convention:
- Lieut. Col., Theodore Livings, of Jefferson Township.
- Majors, John W. Vanosdol, of Cotton Township; R. M. Lamp, sen., of Craig Township.
- Surgeon, Dr. Wm. C. Sweezey, of Pleasant Township.
- Adjutant, Lewis F. Works, of Jefferson Township.
- Quarter Master, A. J. Siebenthall, of Craig Township
Leaving a vacancy of one Major to be filled by Posey Township.
All the communication will be addressed to the Adjutant, Lewis F. Works, at Vevay.
The objects of this organization are purely political, and such orders as may be issued are only recommendations aiming to unite us in harmony of action to promote the interst of the good work for which we are enlisted,–the election of our Great Captain Ulysses S. Grant, and Indiana’s Statesman, Schuyler Colfax—but these recommendations are put in the form of orders as souvenirs of the past.
We look to loyal citizens for the same sympathy and support that they gave us while we were in the field. Orders of organization will be issued forthwith.
AUGUSTUS WELCH, Colonel.