The following is a list of the premiums awarded and paid at the Tenth Annual Fair of the Switzerland and Ohio County Agricultural Society, held at their Fair Grounds, and ending as a perfect success on Friday last [September 17th to 20th]:
Class 1 – Horses for all purposes.
- Best stallion 4 yrs old, Thomas Glaze; 2d Jas M West
- Best stallion 3y old, W H Buchanan; 2d Geo Singer
- Best stallion 2y old, Thos Shields; 2d S G Powell
- Best stallion 1y old, Wm B Sanders; 2d Saml Lostutter
- Best sucking horse colt, Chas Heath; 2d Paschal Conner
- Best brood mare 4y old, Paschal Conner; 2d James Brown
- Best filly 3 yr old, Harry Wycoff; 2d H B Keeney
- Best filly 2y old, Paschal Conner; 2d Dillard Drake
- Best filly 1y old, Wm Stewart; 2d P L Davis
- Best suckling filly cold, P L Davis; 2d David Seward
- Best gelding 3y old, Zachariah Scott; 2d Saml Lostutter
- Best gelding 2y old, Thos McCrary; 2d James Brown
- Best gelding 1y old, A J McHenry; 2d A J McHenry
- Best pr matched horses, John Shields; 2d John Shields
Class 2 – Horses for light harness.
- Best stallion 4y old, Paschal Conner; 2d A Robbins
- Best gelding 4y old, Wm S Allen; 2d Fred’k Harris
- 2d best mare 3y old, Wm H Dodd
- Best mare 3 yr old, Wm S Allen; 2d John Dickason
Class 3 – Trotting, Pacing and Saddle Horses. Speed limited to 6 minutes.
- Best trotting stallion 4y, Miller Ward; 2d A W Robbins
- Best trot’g stal’n under 4, W H Buchanan
- Best trotting mare 4y, Ira Lindley; 2d John W Dibbs
- Best mare under 4y, Thos Spencer; 2d gelding under 4y, Jordan Wainscott
- Pacing stallion 4y, W B Murry; 2d J H Benton
- Pacing stallion under 4y, John Shields
- Best mare 4 yr old, Henry Demaree; 2d Wm S Allen
- Best pacing mare under 4, Jno Stewart; 2d Jno Jackson
Class 4 – Trotting and Pacing. Speed, 1 mile in 4 minutes.
- Trotting stallion 4y, Miller Ward
- Trotting mare 4 yr old, Ira Lindley; 2d W H Dodd
- Trotting mare under 4y, Thos Spencer
- Pacing stallion 4y old, W B Murry; 2d Thos Glaze
- Pacing stallion under 4, C S Cole
- Pacing mare under 4y, John Stewart; 2d John Jackson
Class 5 – Speed Ring—Trotting, Pacing and Racking.
- Best trotting gelding, F M Buffington
- Best pacing stallion, W B Murry
- Best racking gelding, Jonathan Cole; 2d mare John Shields
Class 6 – Sweepstakes on horses.
- Best stallion, Omer Wiley
- Best gelding, Wm S Allen
- Best mare, Wm S Allen
Class 7 – Guage Ring. Time 1 mile in 4 minutes, either ride or drive any gate, either horse, mule, Jack or Jennet.
- Best, Eugene Tardy
- 2d, Griffith Dickason
Class 8 – Jacks and Mules.
- Best Jack 3yr old, Paschal Conner; 2d Griffith Dickson
- Best Jack 2 yr old G B Garlinghouse
- Best sucking jack colt, J P Searcy
- Best Jennet 3 yr old, J P Searcy; 2d G B Garlinghouse
- Best mule 3 yr old, Jas Dickason; 2d John Kilgore
- Best mule 2 yr old, Baron Stow; 2d Jasper Dunning
- Best mule 1 yr old, Peter Lostutter; 2d Griffith Dickason
- Best sucking mule colt, P Lostutter; 2d O P Cobb
Class 9 – Horses and mules for Draught.
- Best pair horses, John Dickason
- Best single horse, John Dickason; 2d Jordan Wainscott
- Best pair mules, James Dickason
- Best single mule, James Dickason; 2d John Danner
Class 10 – Horned Cattle.
- Best bull 3 yr old, exhibiting two of its offspring, James Cole; 2d John L Mulford
- Best bull 2yr old, Henry Demaree
- Best bull 1y old, Dillard Drake; 2d John S Olmstead
- Best bull calf, James Cole; 2d James Dickason
- Best cow 3 yr old, James Cole; 2d Thos Works
- Best heifer 1y old, James Cole; 2d Dillard Drake
- Best heifer calf, Baron Stow; 2d Silas R Potter
Class 11 – Working Cattle and Steers.
- Best pr work cattle 4y, H L Norris; 2d Solen L Culp
- Best work cattle 3y, Thos McCreary; 2d James Cole
- Best pr work steers 1y, Geo W Bryson
Class 12 – Milch Cows.
- Best milch cow 4y, Wm Stewart; 2d U H Stow
- Best milch cow 3y, James Cole; 2d Thomas Works
Class 13 – Fat Sheep and Cattle.
- Best fat bullock over 8y, J T Nelson; 2d James Cole
- Best fatcow or heifer over 8y, T Works; 2d Jas T Nelson
- Best fat sheep, James M Baker; 2d James Cole
Class 14 – Sweepstakes on Cattle.
- Best bull, James Cole
- Best cow, Thomas Works
Class 15 – Fine Wooled Sheep.
- Best buck 1 yr old, Ezra Lampkin; 2d G W D Culp
- Best ewe 1 yr old, G W D Culp
- Best ewe lamb, G W D Culp; 2d Ezra Lampkin
- Best buck lamb, G W D Culp
Class 16 – Long Wooled Sheep.
- Best buck 1 year old, J A Powell; 2d J A Powell; 2d buck lamb, J A Powell
- Best ewe lamb, John M Shull; 2d J R Fisher
- Best lot of Sheep, G W D Culp; 2d J S Olmstead
Class 17 – Hogs.
- Best boar 1 yr old, J S Olmstead; 2d U H Stow
- Best boar under 1y, O P Cobb; 2d O P Cobb
- Best breeding sow 1y, Thos Works; 2d U H Stow
- Best sow shoat under 1y, O P Cobb; 2d O P Cobb
- Best shoats under 6 months, O P Cobb; 2d John Danner
Class 18 – Plows, Harrows & Cultivators.
- Best two horse plow, J O Bidwell; 2d J O Bidwell
- Best sod plow, U H Stow
- Best shovel plow, W C Lostutter
- Best two horses harrow, John Danner; 2d Joseph Meleck
- Best one horse harrow, [illegible]
- Best field roller, Jas K Reed; 2d Moses Cole
- Best ox yoke, Jas T Nelson
- Best six ox helves, Wm Dunning
Class 19 – Mills, Presses, Wooden Ware.
- Best fanning mill, Robert A Harris; 2d E W Gould
- Best cider mill, G W D Culp
- Best catting box, G W D Culp; 2d John Danner
- Best washing machine, E H Hall; 2d L W Beal
- Best hayrake, wife, U H Stow; 2d U H Stow donated
- Best broom machine, Moses Cole
- Best 12 corn brooms, Jas K Reed
- Best six wooden ladles, S S Barker
- Best spec. turning in wood, E W Gould
- Best flour barrel, L W Beal
- Best pork barrel, L W Beal
- Best slack or apple bbl, Jno O Hedrick
- Best molasses barrel, Jno O Hedrick
Class 20 – Threshers, Mowers, Reapers.
- Best thresher and separator H M Ayres; 2d Wm Goodner
- Best four horse wagon, Jas T Nelson
- Best two horse wagon, Abr’m Tinker; 2d H A Tinker
- Best reaper, C B & G B Garlinghouse
- Best comb, reaper & mower, Eli Murphy
Class 21 – Carriages and Cabinet Ware.
- Best two horse carriage, H A Tinker; 2d H A Tinker
- Best one horse carriage, H A Tinker
- Best bugg, H A Tinker; 2d H A Tinker
- Best sulky, James T Nelson; 2d H A Tinker
- Best center table; E W Gould
- Best dining table; E W Gould
- Best common bedstead; E W Gould
Class 22 – Vegetables.
- Best dozen beets, Mrs. Rachel Murphy
- Best dozen parsnips, George J Downey
- Best 6 cabbages, E B L Ford
- Best 12 Carrots, S S Barker
- Best hf bush onions, Nicholas Sedam
- Best hf bush potatoes, John Danner
- Best 3 squashes, Jer. Downey
- Best hf bush swt potatoes, S S Barker
- Best Chinese potatoes, U H Stow donated
Class 23 – Grain and Seed.
- Best bush yellow corn, James Cole; 2d Wm Goodner
- Best bush white corn, Mary Wisner; 2d Wm Goodner
- Best bushel red wheat, Jno S Olmsted; 2d James K Reed
- Best bushel white wheat, Ab’m Tinker; 2d Geo Sadler
- Best bushel rye, Jacob Baker; 2d John Vanosdol
- Best bushel oats, James Cole; 2d Daniel Meleck
- Best bushel barley, Jacob Baker; 2d Richard Nash
- Best bushel flaxseed, Daniel Goodner
- Best bushel timothy seed, Theo. Cole
- Best bushel orchard g. seed, Jas Cole
Class 24 – Field crops.
The awards in this class cannot be made until the crops are further matured. The report will be made at the annual meeting, and then published.
Class 25 – Farms, Barns, Orchards, &c.
- Best arranged & cultivated farm, A Hyde; 2d J R Harris
- Best arranged and cultivated orchard, quality of fruit considered, S Stow; 2d U H Stow
- Best practical farm house, D H Blunk; 2d D Henry
- Best practical farm barn, J R Harris; 2d Moses Cole
Class 26 – Poultry
- Best pair Shanghais, Thomas Works; 2d Wm A Mount
- Best pair Bramahs, James Cole; 2d Jere. Downey
- Best pair Cochin Chinas, Thos Works; 2d Margaret Moore
- Best pair dorkings, C W Mendle
- Best pair African Bantams, T Works; 2d J Vanosdol
- Best pair cross, Wm A Mount; 2d C W Mendle
- Best white Poland ducks, Marg’t Moore; 2d Moses Wisner
- Best common ducks, Thos Works; 2d John Vanosdol
- Best pair turkeys, Margaret Moore; 2d G W D Culp
- Best collection poultry, Thomas Works; 2d C W Mendle
Class 27 – Needle Work.
- Ornamental needlework, Jane Brown
- Ornamental needlework, Julia Baker; 2d Ruth W Wiley
- Patch work quilt, Eliza Sparks; 2d Charlotte Melick
- Knit Counterpane, Siren Gould; 2d Ella Dufour
- Otoman cover, Ella Dufour; 2d Ella Dufour
- Fancy worked chair cover, Lucretia Wait; 2d Delna Hanna
- Fancy worsted work, Mrs. Olmsted; 2d Ruth M Wiley
- Fancy worsted work on perforated paper, Mrs Julia Wiley; 2d Mary J Maple
- Best lady’s sack, Mrs Defraz & Tardy
- Best child’s sack, Mrs. M P Olmsted; 2d Bettie Bledsoe
- Best washstand mat, Eliza Sparks
- Best pair lamp mats, Ella Dufour; 2d Mary Sparks
- Best pair pants, Susan Wainscott
- Best shirt, Marg’t Gillespie; 2d Eliza J Goodner
- Best ladies headdress, Detraz & Tardy; 2d Eliza J Sparks
- Best ladies cap, Detraz & Tardy; 2d M P Olmstead
- Best velvet bonnet, Detraz & Tardy
- Best straw bonnet, Detraz & Tardy
- Best woolen dress, Nancy Maple; 2d char. Meleck
- Artificial flowers, Cyntha Cunningham; 2d Phebe Cunningham
- Ornamental beadwork, Detraz & Tardy
- Ornamental shell work, Detraz & Tardy; 2d Detraz & Tardy
Class 28 – Linen, Woolen and Cotton Fabrics, made by hand.
- Best 5 yds tow linen, Margaret Bills; 2d Martha Barker
- Best 5 yds flax linen, Marg’t Bills; 2d Mahala Bane
- Best 5 yds Linsey, Mary B Brown
- Best 5 yds flannel, Nancy Naple; 2d Rachel Murphy
- Best 5 yds linen diaper, Mrs. D Goodner
- Best 5 yds Kersey, Nancy Vanosdol
- Best 5 yds rag carpet, Lavina Wait; 2d Cordine Henry
- Best 5 yds woolen carpet, M P Olmsted
- Best pair woolen blankets, Eliza Maple; 2d Martha Baker
- Double woolen coverlets, Nancy Maple; 2d Mary Hizer
- Double cotton coverlets, Nancy Maple; 2d Martha Baker
- Best 10 yds Jeans, Mary Rous; 2d Mary Brown
- Best 5 yds jeans, Susan Wainscott; 2d Charlotte Goodner
- Best woolen knit socks, Sarah J Wisner
- Best woolen knit mits, Orma L Archer
- Best pound of yarn, Mary Hizer
Class 29 – Linen, Woolen and Cotton Fabrics, made by machinery.
- Best 10 yds plaid flannel, Nancy Maple
- Best 10 yds plain flannel, Marg’t Moore; 2d Nancy Maple
- Best 10 yds jeans, Geo J Downey; 2d Fanny Pocock
- Best pair blankets, Sarah J Hizer; 2d Sarah J Hizer
Class 30 – Leather Manufactures.
- Best specimen sole leather, C W Mendle
- Best specimen upper leather, C W Mendle
- Best carriage harness, Richard Martin
- Best pair lady’s slippers, Mary E Brown
Class 31 – Fruit, Flowers & Fine Arts.
- Best collec’n fruit of all kinds, S Stow
- Best specimen peaches, J A Powell
- Best collection plums, Jordan Wainscot
- Best collection quinces, Geo J Downey
- Best specimen grapes, U H Stow; 2d E Case
- Collection g. h. plants, Marg’t Gillespie; 2d Viola Stow
- Best g. h. plants in bloom, Mar. Gillespie; 2d Viola Stow; 2d single dahlia, Margaret Moore
- Best disply of roses, Marg’t Gillespie, 2d Jane Cole
- Best round boquet, Margt Gillespie; 2d Margt Moore
- Best flat boquet, Margt Gillespie; 2d Jane Cole
- Best floral ornament, Margt Gillespie
- Best dissimilar roses, Jane Cole
- Best single plant, Margaret Moore; 2d Margaret Moore
- Best landscape oil painting, E Sparks
- Best portrait painting, Rosanna Blunk; 2d Rosanna Blunk
- Best flower painting, Eliza Sparks
Class 32 – Jellies, Preserves, Pickels and Canned Fruits.
- Best collection of jellies made by exhibitor, Mrs. Charlotte Meleck; 2d Lucretia Harris
- Best col. of preserves, Char. Meleck; 2d Nancy Maple
- Best collection fruit butter, C Meleck; 2d Nancy Maple
- Best collection pickels, Char. Meleck; 2d Nancy Maple
- Best col. of Jellies, preserves and pickles canned by one person, Char Meleck; 2d Lucretia Harris
Class 33 – Table Comforts.
- Best 10 lbs June butter, Margt Gillespie
- Best 5 lbs June butter, Margt Gillespie
- Best 10 lbs Sept butter, Harriet Baker; 2d Mary Rous
- Best 5 lb Sept butter, Mary Rous
- Best 10 lbs butter & cheese, M Gillespie
- Best 10 lbs maple sugar, P. Cunningham
- Best 10 lbs honey in comb, S Stow
- Best gallon molasses, P. Cunningham; 2d Nancy Maple
- Best loaf bread, salt rising, Eliz. Maple; 2d Sarah Smith
- Best sample h. m. cake, Lucretia Harris
- Best collection confectionary, Vio Stow; 2d Vio Stow
- Best barrel flour, Wm Daily; 2d Wm Goodner
- Best snare drum, E W Gould
- Best sample gooseberrys, S Stow
- Best deer and fawn, U H Stow
- Best double lock chain, H A Tinker
- Best hub boxing machine, H A Tinker
- Best reel, Moses Cole
- Best base drum, Moses Cole
- Best fife, Moses Cole
- Best horse shoe and nails, W H Buchanan
- Best Union flag, Henry Sedam
- Best spinning wheel, John Murphy
- Best patent wheel head, John Murphy
- Best blackberry wine, Nancy Lostutter
- Best buch flags, James K Reed
- Best scrub broom, James K Reed
- Best butter box, John M Baker
- Best sleigh, Joseph Malin
- Best fly trap, Joseph Malin
- Best specimen wine, Eliphalet Case
- Best specimen brandy, Eliphalet Case
- Best barrel crab cider, E B L Ford
- Best globesight rifle gun, Danl Goodner
- Best loose hay bed, Jos. Malin
- Best bush dried peaches, Fanny Pocock
- Best bush dried apples, Jacob Baker
- Best piano stool, Solomon Washer
- Best boot jack, Solomon Washer
- Best hf bus. Onion setts, Nich. Sedam
PERCY ROUS, Secretary.
September 22, 1861.