Ohio County, Indiana entries from:
G.W. Hawes’ Indiana Gazetteer and Business Directory for 1858 and 1859. Indianapolis : Geo. W. Hawes, 1858.
Digitized copy online at Internet Archive
A post village in Ohio county and contains one store, one blacksmith, and one cabinet maker. Population 386.
[Names were too late for regular insertion in the General Directory, and are found in the Business Classification.]
- Gould E. W., cabinet maker and furniture dealer.
- Gould S., attorney at law.
- Griswold, W. R., blacksmith.
- Sisson D. W., general store.
A post office of Ohio county, 12 miles south of Vevay, 14 miles east of Rising Sun. It has one store, one blacksmith shop, two sawmills, one gristmill, one minister, one tailor, one shoemaker, and two coopers. 100 miles from Indianapolis. Population, 600
- Anderson H., prop’r saw and gristmill.
- COLE J., POSTMASTER.
- Cole J., blacksmith.
- Hoffmeyer H., tailor.
- Robins J. Rev., Baptist.
- Rose J., shoemaker.
- Wycoff P., prop’r sawmill.
A post office of Ohio county, 8 miles from Rising Sun, the county seat, 40 miles north-west of Cincinnati.
A post village of Ohio county, situated 6 ½ miles from Rising Sun, the county seat, 80 miles south-east of Indianapolis, and 28 miles from Cincinnati. It contains one general store, one grocery, three blacksmiths, one boot and shoe maker, one minister, one dress maker, one water grist mill, three resident farmers, one magistrate, two physicians, one water saw mill, one tailor and clothier, one mason, one plasterer and bricklayer, one Methodist church, and a school with twenty-five pupils attending. Population, 75.
- Cooper Basil L., farmer.
- Cooper Basil L., justice of peace.
- COOPER B. L., POST MASTER.
- Cooper Thomas N., grocer.
- Euler & Boughmaster, proprietors steam grist mill.
- Euler & Boughmaster, proprietors water saw mill.
- Finch Jane, dress maker.
- Gerard Dr., physician and surgeon.
- Holiday Selia, boot and shoe maker.
- Johnson Alexander, harness maker.
- LaSourd Jesse Rev., Methodist.
- McPherson Wm., stone mason.
- Medaris Dr., physician and surgeon.
- Richards Jacob, farmer.
- Smith Hiram, blacksmith.
- Steel Samuel, blacksmith.
- Stockdale Joseph, blacksmith.
- Stumpe Wm., tailor and clothier.
- Tresser Michael, bricklayer.
- Wilber A. & R., general store.
- Wilber A., farmer.
- Wilber R., farmer.
The county seat of Ohio county, is beautifully situated on the Ohio river, 35 miles from Cincinnati. It was laid out in 1814 by John James. Many of the earliest settlers of the place still reside here. The first newspaper ever published here was called the Rising Sun, by Isaac Stevens & Co., and the first number was issued on the 16th day of November, 1833. Population about 2,200. The principal public buildings are the public school building, capable of accommodating 700 pupils, the court house and jail. The Southeastern Indiana Female Seminary is located here. The Weekly Visitor is the only paper published here. The principal manufactories and productive establishments are a woolen factory, iron foundry, plow factory, flouring mill, distillery, saw mill, chair factory, two furniture manufactories, two bakeries, six boot and shoe and four tailoring establishments. Of other business houses there are four dry goods and six grocery stores, one drug store, one hat store, three jewelry establishments, one hotel. There are five churches, two Presbyterian, one Methodist, one Reform Baptist and one Universalist church. This place has an extensive river trade and annually sends large quantities of produce of the South. The dry good and variety store of Messrs. Hathaway & Co., was established by S. Hathaway in 1822, and is one of the most extensive business houses of the kind in the West, and embraces the most complete variety of all kinds of goods ever collected in one house. It is, also, the office of the Rising Sun Insurance Company, and of the Lawrenceburgh and Rising Sun Telegraph line. The flouring mill of J. W. Talbott, the woolen factory of I. Scofield, and the distillery of E. H. Wright, each do a heavy business. Rising Sun has, also, the reputation of being the most healthy town on the Ohio River.
- Trustees—Henry S. Pate, Thomas Griswold, J. F. Pate.
- Clerk—Harvey Green.
- Treasurer—James M. Reister.
- Constable—Robert Carter.
- Council—B. Moroan, John Baxter, Simon Mitchell, Enos Gary.
- Post Master—John W. Spencer.
- Mayor—Henry A. Downey.
- Marshal—Joseph S. Walker.
- Treasurer—Stephen Ulrey.
- Clerk—Charles W. Mountz.
- Street Commissioner—Cornelius Miller.
- Circuit Court—This Court meets on the 2d Mondays February and August. A. C. Downey, Judge; Frank Adkinson, Prosecutor.
- Common Pleas Court sits on the 3d Mondays of January, April, July and October. Robert Drummond, Judge; James A. Works, Prosecutor.
- Commissioners Court—Meets on 1st Mondays in March, June, September and December.
- Masonic—Rising Sun Lodge meets on the 1st and 3d Saturdays in each month.
- King David Chapter meets on the 1st and 3d Tuesdays in each month.
- Temperance—Republican Division Sons of Temperance meets every Monday evening at Temperance Hall.
- I. O. O. F.—Friendship Lodge No. 4 meets every Tuesday evening at Odd Fellows’ Hall.
- Eldridge Encampment meets on the 1st and 3d Thursdays in each month.
TOWN AND TOWNSHIP MEETINGS.
- The City Council meets on the 1st Monday in each month.
- Township Trustees—The Township Board meets on the last Saturday in each month.
M’CLURE INSTITUTE. (Incorporated 1855.)
- President—Robert G. Young.
- Vice President—James M. Reister.
- Secretary—Wm. H. Smith.
- Treasurer—M. Calvert.
- Directors—Platt Thompson, W. H. Gregory, Harvey Green, P. J. Dunne.
- Librarian—Frank Gregory.
Alphabetical List of Professions, Trades, Etc.
- Barkshire Samuel, (colored) cooperage.
- Baxter J. S., boot and shoe maker.
- Berkshire Wm., blacksmith.
- Best Mrs. Sallie, millinery.
- Bonham John C. Rev., Presbyterian, (N. S.)
- Bowman William, butcher.
- Calkins Miss Luis, milliner and dress maker.
- CALVERT M., TREASURER M’CLURE INSTITUTE.
- Clore Wm., plow manufacturer.
- City Hotel, Marcus Bradbury proprietor.
- Cullen Wm., tailor.
- COVINGTON JOHN B., MANUFACTURER OF SORGHO MILLS, OKEY’S PATENT LATH MACHINE, AND HOFFNER’S PATENT SCREW CUTTER. (See advertisement, inside of right cover.)
- Dodd H. E. & Son, dealers in dry goods.
- DOWNEY A. C. & H. A., ATTORNEYS AT LAW AND NOTARIES PUBLIC.
- DOWNEY HENRY A., MAYOR.
- Drake Enoch, wagon maker.
- DUNNE P. J., WATCHES, JEWELRY AND SILVER WARE.
- Enoch A. C., boot and shoe maker.
- Enoch H. R., boot and shoe maker.
- Espey H. S. & H., grocers.
- FIELDS JAS., CLOCKS, WATCHES, JEWELRY, &c.
- Fisher D. Jr., boot and shoe maker.
- FRENCH JOHN J. & CO., GROCERIES AND PRODUCE.
- GARY JOHN W., BAKERY, GROCERY AND CONFECTIONERY.
- Gary Enos, cabinet furniture.
- Gilmore T. H., grocer.
- Gillespie Wm., physician and surgeon.
- GREGORY F. J., LIBRARIAN McCLURE INSTITUTE.
- GREGORY W. H., EDITOR AND PROPRIETOR INDIANA VISITOR.
- Hall W. H. & W., carpenters and joiners.
- Hamilton John E., blacksmith.
- Harris John, house carpenter.
- Harsfall Thomas, tailor.
- HATHAWAY B. J., PROPRIETOR OF THE AURORA AND LAWRENCEBURGH TELEGRAPH LINE. (See card.)
- HATHAWAY & CO., WHOLESALE AND RETAIL DEALERS IN DRY GOODS, GROCERIES, HARDWARE, IRON, NAILS, QUEENSWARE, GLASSWARE, BOOTS, SHOES, HATS, CAPS, etc.
- HAYDEN J. J., ATTORNEY AT LAW AND INSURANCE AGENT.
- HERDEGEN ADAM, BAKERY AND CONFECTIONERY.
- Huston M. & Son, wagon and carriage makers.
- INDIANA WEEKLY VISITOR, W. H. GREGORY EDITOR AND PROPRIETOR.
- Israel Elliott, blacksmith.
- Jelley J. S., attorney at law.
- JESSUP D. H., PHYSICIAN AND SURGEON.
- JONES JOHN H., GROCER AND PRODUCE DEALER.
- Lewis John K., painter.
- Lewis John, proprietor steam saw mill.
- McAvoy & Bro., druggists and apothecaries.
- McCaw James Rev., pastor Methodist Church.
- McCLURE INSTITUTE, F. J. GREGORY LIBRARIAN, R. G. YONGE PRESIDENT.
- McKibben C. T., physician and surgeon.
- Marble Nathaniel, broom factory.
- Martin Richard, saddle and harness maker.
- MASONIC HALL, RISING SUN LODGE, NO. 6.
- Massey Mrs. E. J., milliner and dressmaker.
- Merrill Henry, blacksmith.
- Miles W., tailor.
- Moore William Rev., pastor Presbyterian Church (O. S.)
- Morgan B., halter.
- ODD FELLOWS’ HALL, FRIENDSHIP LODGE, NO. 1.
- REISTER J. M. & CO., IRON FOUNDERS AND MANUFACTURES OF THE MORMON BEATEN HAY AND COTTON PRESS.
- RISING SUN INSURANCE COMPANY, S. HATHAWAY, PRESIDENT, B. J. HATHAWAY, SECRETARY. (See advertisement, page 180.)
- Scofield J., woolen factory.
- Scogin & Wilber, grocers.
- Scranton Almon, tailor.
- Smith W. H., house joiner.
- SONS OF TEMPERANCE, REPUBLICAN DIVISION NO. 178.
- SPENCER JOHN W., POST MASTER.
- Steward Samuel, lumber dealer.
- Stewart Mr. Rev., pastor Baptist Church.
- Sullivan Wm. H., physician and surgeon.
- Summers Thomas, stoves and tinware.
- Talbott Joseph W., cooperage.
- Thompson Sidney, prop’r wharf boat.
- Thompson P., stoves and tinware.
- ULREY J. P., DENTIST, AT HOME ON MONDAYS AND TUESDAYS, IN AURORA WEDNESDAYS AND SATURDAYS, IN LAWRENCEBURGH THURSDAYS AND FRIDAYS.
- Ulrey Stephen, books and stationery, and notary public.
- WALKER J. S., BOOT AND SHOE MAKER.
- Ward Charles, wagon maker.
- Ward Charles D., wagon maker.
- Ward Thomas A., ambrotypist.
- WELLS J. C., DRY GOODS, BOOTS, SHOES, ETC.
- Wharf Boat, Sidney Thompson prop’r.
- Whitlock John T., cabinet-maker.
- WRIGHT E. H., MILLER AND DISTILLER.
- Wright Nathaniel, blacksmith.
- Wright Jefferson, (colored,) barber.
- YONGE R. G., PRESIDENT McCLURE INSTITUTE.
- Yonge Robert G., chair maker.
- Zeiller J. & Co., staple and fancy dry goods.