Last week, Mrs. H. H. Child, A. D., Dept. Ind., of Madison, came to Vevay and organized Relief Corps No. 76, auxiliary to Maj. Patton Post, No. 157, G. A. R. On the evening of the 7th the organization was completed by a public installation and social meeting.
The following are the officers:
- Mrs. W. D. Ward, President
- Miss Emma Patton, S. V. P.
- Miss Ida Rochat, J. V. P.
- Mrs. Allie Rochat, Treas.
- Mrs. Belle Teats, Sec’y
- Miss Gertrude Downey, Conductor
- Miss Laura Simpson, Guard
- Miss Laura Lampson, Assistant Conductor
- Mrs. Mattie Girard, Assistant Guard
- Mrs. Mattie Graham, Chaplain
The society commenced with 35 charter members and seven were installed last night. It is composed of the mothers, wives, daughter and sisters of Union soldiers, and other loyal women. Its objects are charitable and social, and is auxiliary of G. A. R. Its charity is not confined to the families of soldiers, but is broad and liberal. The corps have already distributed over $20 in families were there is sickness, not one of whom were soldiers. Just such a society was needed in Vevay, and should be encouraged.